Pages

the target consumer

Sunday, January 24, 2010


I'm the reason why companies make pretty packaging for a half-as-good product so they can sell it for twice as much. I admit it. I'm a sucker for pretty packages. I know this about myself, and yet I still gravitate toward the mouthwash in the pretty bottle over the time-tested, dentist-approved scope or listerine or whatever.

I'll buy this soap...


before I buy this soap...



This makes shopping trips hard for me. Shopping damages my soul. I have to consciously avoid pretty packages to get a better deal (and perhaps a better product). I'd feel terrible about buying more expensive things because of the packaging, but I feel a small amount of soul-damage when I leave the store with lifeless soap and boring shampoo.

So, here I am product makers of the world! Try me, test me, torture my soul with your lovely things. I will not "buy in" to your scams!



Well, if it's really pretty...

2 comments:

  1. Understood. At the risk of trying to one-up you...I confess to ordering from the NEW! seasonal flaps of restaurant menus, entering stores under the "Clearance event" banner, and going to Starbucks as often as it takes to try every single Christmas latte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that applies to interpersonal relationships as well. It's easy to get wrapped up (ha!) in the way things look.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS